Call Us Today
603-524-4889

Send A Text
603-393-3331

Spring Mold Growth, Your Health, & Your Pets

Now that we are into spring, which is often a rainy, somewhat warmer season, we are heading into prime time for mold growth in Gilford! However, many symptoms related to mold illness are very similar to what seasonal allergy sufferers experience, so getting to the root of the problem can be a bit tricky. If someone in your home is experiencing new or growing allergy symptoms and you think there is a possibility moisture has gotten into your home or mold is growing somewhere, it is worth exploring.

Here are some questions to ask mold remediationyourself:

  • Do you think there is a possibility of mold growing somewhere in your home?
  • Have you had a recent water leak?
  • Is there a musky smell coming from the basement, a bathroom, or elsewhere?
  • Are you noticing condensation on doors or windows during warm days when the A/C is on inside?

These could all be signs of potential microbial growth lurking somewhere, unseen.

As we’ve talked about before, humans can experience what is called Chronic Inflammatory Disease, or CIRS. Researchers believe about 25 percent of people are genetically predisposed to CIRS, which essentially means being exposed to mold can make them sick. Believe it or not, pets can become sick from mold exposure, too.

According to animal experts, black mold has been a problem for farm animals for some time, but just within the past decade awareness has grown about the effects on domestic pets as well. In 2007, a veterinarian determined black mold was responsible for the death of two cats – and the story made headlines. The cats were at the vet for a routine teeth cleaning under anesthetic, but hemorrhaged and died.  Black mold produces mycotoxin which can damage the liver’s ability to help blood clot.

So, if you suspect you have mold in your home, but you aren’t exhibiting any symptoms, take a closer look at your furry friend for:

  • Runny nose & sneezing
  • Nosebleeds
  • Skin rashes or sores
  • Loss of appetite
  • Lethargy

Of course a blog post is not meant to diagnose anyone – or animal – with mold-related illness. So don’t go all Web MD on us and worry that just because you’ve read this and there are some similar symptoms that your home is filled with mold; that may not be the case. And if it is, it is not the end of the world! Thousands of homeowners find mold in their home every day, and call upon educated professionals to remove it for good.

If you do believe there is mold in your home and that is what is causing your pet or others in your household to be sick, calling in a professional to investigate is the best route. All Brite can do a thorough inspection and determine if there is mold growth even in areas you can’t see. A simple mold test can identify if there are any airborne mold spores in your home.